Have you suffered a work-related injury? You may be able to seek compensation for lost wages and medical expenses under workers’ compensation. While many are aware that this program exists, a large number of people do not know exactly what they should do in the event that they should be injured at work. Fortunately, our firm has put together a short guide that can help you follow the required steps towards pursuing compensation.
1. Seek medical help: If you have been injured at work, it is crucial that you seek medical attention as soon as possible. If your injuries require emergency medical help, call an ambulance or have someone nearby dial 911 immediately. For injuries that are less serious, your employer should provide a list of at least six local doctors for you to choose from at no cost.
2. Inform your employer: A written notice of your injury must be submitted to your employer within 30 days of your accident or discovery of your injury. This must go to either a supervisor, your company’s HR department, or other authority figure.
3. Document your time off: If your injuries cause you to miss at least seven days of work, you may be able to recover compensation for your lost wages. For longer periods of absence, you may be able to recover temporary, partial, or permanent disability benefits.
4. Strictly adhere to all treatment plans: Your benefits will only continue to be paid if you follow your doctor’s prescribed course of treatment.
5. Contact an attorney: It is always a good idea to retain the services of an experienced lawyer after an injury. If a dispute regarding your benefits or a claim denial should occur, an attorney can represent your interests and fight to preserve your rights.
Dedicated Workers’ Compensation Counsel in Cobb County
If you have suffered an injury due to your occupation, a Cobb County workers’ compensation lawyer from Chestnut & Beller can help you pursue the compensation you deserve. As proven by our AV Preeminent® Rating by Martindale Hubbell® and nearly 60 years of combined experience, our firm has the skills and vast knowledge you need to maximize your chances of securing a desirable outcome.
Request a free consultation or call our office today at (770) 285-5542.